Sunday, July 5, 2009

Tofu Pie?!

This year for the fourth of July I decided to make a dessert. I've been wanting to try to make a tofu based dessert for awhile so I decided this was the perfect opportunity. I know it sounds scary but it actually ended up being really good!





Here is the recipe (the crust didn't turn out well at all and most of the guests thought that a standard graham cracker crust would have been better - a few thought no crust at all but just in cups with fruit would be the way to go):


Chocolate Peanut Butter Tofu Pie

  • 1/4 cup butter, melted (I used a butter substitute)
  • 10 oz. pretzels
  • 2 Tbsp. sugar
  • 1 cup dark chocolate chips (60% cacao) (I did 3/4 of a cup of dark chocolate and 1/2 a cup of semi-sweet chocolate)
  • 1 cup creamy peanut butter (I only used 3/4 of a cup and the PB taste was VERY strong so I may consider using less next time)
  • 12 oz. extra firm light silken tofu
  • 1/3 cup maple syrup
  • chopped pretzels for garnish (I used bananas and berries as a garnish)

Preheat oven to 350. Crush pretzels and sugar in a food processor or blender until mixture becomes very fine crumbs. With a fork, stir in melted butter until crumbs are moistened. Press into bottom and up the sides of a 9" pie plate. Bake 8 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool.

Microwave dark chocolate chips and peanut butter together in a microwave safe container for 30 seconds. Stir and repeat in 30-second increments until chips are completely melted. Process tofu and maple syrup in a food processor until smooth. Add chocolate-peanut butter mixture. Process again until smooth. Pour into prepared crust. Refrigerate 1 hour. Sprinkle with chopped pretzels if desired.



No comments: