Monday, July 27, 2009

Baby Leg Warmers - Free Pattern


I recently decided that I wanted to teach some of my friends how to knit so that in the future I have knitting buddies. In a few weeks we are going to get together and do some small beginner projects. One of my friends has an adorable baby girl and wants to knit her a pair of leg warmers; so I wrote and tested a VERY simple pattern for her to try. I made my test pair in a solid color but the pattern is designed for stripes. If you are looking for a super easy fast pattern this is the project for you!

Random thoughts: One of the comments on this post asked a hilariously good question (why in the heck would a baby need leg warmers?!?). I actually just learned the answer about 1 month ago at a baby shower I was at. Apparently it is much easier to change a baby that is just in a onesie and leg warmers so that you don't have to deal with taking pants on a off - I wish someone had told me that when my son was still in the potty 15 times a day mode...

If you would like a PDF copy of this pattern please just send me your email addressed and I would be happy to email you a copy.



Finished Measurements
Length: 7 inches
Width: 3 inches at the top and 2 inches at the bottom

Supplies
- 1 set of 24" circular needles size US 8 (longer circular needles can be used)
- Yarn Needle
- Two buttons or Ribbon for embellishment (Optional)
- Sewing Needle (if using buttons)
- Sewing Thread (if using buttons)

Yarn
Bernat Satin
(100% Acrylic; 163 yards / 3.5 oz / 100 grams)
Color: Silk (If you are knitting stripes you will need multiple colors)
Used about 1/4 or less of a skein (this would be a perfect scrap yarn project)

Gauge
18 sts and 24 rows = 4" in Stockinette stitch


Pattern
Cast on 22 sts
Join in round using the Magic Loop Method (11 sts on each needle)

Bottom Cuff:
[k1, p1] across row and repeat until the cuff measures 1 inch

Body:
R1: k1 across
R2: (Change color here if using stripes) m1, k1 to end of 1st needle (to the Magic Loop break), m1, k1 to end of 2nd needle (to the end of the row)
R3 - 7: k1 across
R8 - 13: Repeat rows 2 - 7 (Change color before knitting row 8 if using stripes)
R14 - 19: Repeat rows 2 - 7 (Change color before knitting row 14 if using stripes)
R20 - 25: Repeat rows 2 - 7 (Change color before knitting row 20 if using stripes)
R26: Repeat row 2 (Change color before knitting the row if using stripes)
R27: k1 across

Top Cuff:
[k1, p1] across row and repeat until the cuff measures 1.5 inches

Finishing:
Bind off VERY loosely (using larger needles if needed)
Weave in ends and wet block
Add any desired embellishments such as buttons, woven in ribbons, etc.



6 comments:

Rondell said...

That baby going to do arobics or something? What he need leg warmers for?

Chance said...

love them! Can't wait to make them!

Sara said...

Great pattern! Thanks for sharing:)

Heather (Crazy Ol' Me) said...

Cute! Maybe I can talk my mom into making a pair for my daughter (I never learned how to knit). This is a cute alternative to tights under a little girl's skirt to keep her warm.

Brian Stipp said...

I am VERY new to knitting, but I'm wondering about the 24" circular needle. That seems crazy long to me when the legwarmer is only gong to be a few inches wide. Am I missing something? Thanks!
Beth

Stacy said...

Looking forward to making these! Rondell, leg warmers are good for babies that wear cloth diapers, which don't typically fit beneath pants. Thanks for the pattern!