Friday, November 29, 2013
I know everyone says they are thankful for family and friends but this year it is definitely number 1 on my list. I am so grateful to have two beautiful kids, a wonderful husband, a family that supported me and loved me all year long, and amazing friends to share both the good and bad times with. My friends and family make my life feel rich and full no matter what else is going on around me.
Today we started the day with cinnamon rolls and then a football game with our neighbors. Next we are doing a big family meal and hopefully we will end the day with some games or a movie - maybe even some online shopping. Tomorrow we celebrate with the other half of the family and then again on Sunday! Good times - I love Thanksgiving.
Thursday, November 21, 2013
Last year Capricious picked out this fun bulky yarn with silver tinsel woven into it and I promised to knit her a hat and I never got around to it. Well I finally finished it! I think it is pretty cute, the picture doesn't show the fun silver sparkles. Now I just need to set up a Kate Date so I can deliver it!
Sunday, November 17, 2013
Friday, November 15, 2013
We wanted to "warm up" our dining room a bit so we added a rug, curtains, and new light fixture. I am happy with the results.
Tip: If your curtains are too short you can quickly extend them by adding a stripe of fabric at the top or bottom.
Update: Had to change out the chairs and move the buffet from the entry way into the dining room
Thursday, November 14, 2013
Tuesday, November 12, 2013
Monday, November 11, 2013
- Keira starts daycare on Wednesday and I am not ready for her to go. Thinking about it makes me feel anxious…how am I going to leave this sweet little thing with strangers?! I go back to work in 1 week - I had a really nice long maternity leave but it still wasn't long enough.
- Chase is growing like a weed all of his pants and shirts are WAAAY too short. Time to get that kid some new clothes! I can't believe how grown up he seems - he plays video games and kicks our butts in board games, is learning how to read, is taking Karate and can make a basketball shot almost as well as B, his drawings are adorable now, and he is the sweetest big brother around.
- One of my neighbors wants to put up a Little Free Library. I had never heard of them but I am in love with the idea now - what's not to like about a tiny little house with books inside it!!! I need to learn how to use power tools (it seems like the next level up from crafting!)
- I have been missing my girlfriends lately. One of them just came to visit from AK and it made me miss my three besties all over again! Life is too busy and people are too far away and it is hard to get enough visiting in. I want my bffs to live within walking distance of me so I can pop by for afternoon playdates, just to say hi, and random adventures!
- We are trying to make our dining room feel "warmer" so we are going to get this lovely light from West Elm. I love Edison bulbs.
…if I had all the money in the world I would also get this West Elm table and bench but I am saving for a spring vacation instead...
- I feel like the holidays are already right around the corner. I am already making plans - we are going to adopt a family this year and one of our neighbors is coordinating donations from our block to a kiddo charity, I booked a Santa for our holiday block party, and I am starting to pick up Christmas gifts here and there as I see them. I still have to figure out what Thanksgiving and Christmas Eve (anyone have any fun Christmas Eve traditions???) look like plus I just realized Chanukah starts on Nov 27th!
- I have been knitting another shawlette right now using the "Mizzle" pattern. The pattern is really quick and easy, I am just finishing up the border, I can't wait until it is done!
- Yesterday B and I had crepes for brunch without the kids and did a little shopping. It was the perfect relaxing Sunday morning, I wish we did it more often.
- Has anyone out there made their blog into a book? I want to do that someday, I think it would be such a fun way to have a record of day to day living.
- Happy Veterans Day!!!
Tuesday, November 5, 2013
Sunday, November 3, 2013
I just finished my first shawlette - I am kind of obsessed with semi-circle shawlettes now....they can be worn over your shoulders or as a nice scarf! I used The Yarniad's Rioja Pattern (here are two pics from the pattern).
Here is my version. I used a lace weight yarn instead of a fingering weight yarn because it is what I had around. Mine may not be quite as big but that could be because I didn't stretch it enough when I blocked it. This HAS to be blocked (it was tiny before blocking).
I was originally planning on giving this away as a Christmas gift but I kind of LOVE it so I can't decide if I should knit another one for myself or just keep this one.