We have been celebrating B's birthday this weekend and I made him cupcakes!
Hazelnut Creme Brûlée Cupcakes
Makes about 24 cupcakes
I wish the flavors were a little stronger but they were good cupcakes!
3/4 cup butter
2 1/2 cups of flour
2 teaspoons of baking powder
1/2 teaspoons salt
1 3/4 cups sugar
2 tablespoons hazelnut liqueur
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup milk
1/2 cup of chopped hazelnuts
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Beat butter and gradually add sugar until combined. Add eggs one at a time. Beat in liqueur and vanilla. Mix in dry ingredients and milk (alternate). Fold in nuts.
2) Scoop into lined muffin cups and use a spoon to smooth the top.
3) Bake for 15 - 18 minutes until a toothpick pulls out clean. Cool completely.
4) Make frosting: Beat 1/3 cup of a butter. Gradually add 1 cup of powdered sugar until well mixed. Add 2 tablespoons of milk, 1 tablespoon of hazelnut liqueur, and 1 teaspoon of vanilla. Gradually add in 3 cups of powdered sugar and (3 - 4 for teaspoons of milk) until the frosting is the desired consistency.
5) Top with caramelized sugar: Put 1/3 cup of sugar in a pan over medium-high heat until sugar starts to melt (shake occasionally - do not stir). When sugar stars to melt put heat on low and cook for about 5 minutes or until the sugar is melted. Remove from heat and drizzle over the cupcakes with a wooden spoon.
I also made some plain vanilla cupcakes with whipped cream frosting. Honestly they were a slight disappointment - they tasted like a sugar cookie and the whipped cream frosting was just okay. Next time I would go with a traditional frosting.