Sunday, April 28, 2013

Baby Girl Nursery

We finished the nursery!  I am so happy with the results - it is exactly what I wanted.

For those of you out there like me scanning the web for ideas I have listed where I found everything so you don't have to hunt as hard.




Paint Colors:  Egg Shell Gliden Granite Grey (GLN59) and Semi Gloss Sherwin Williams Charming Pink SW 6309 for the stripe
Crown Molding Tip:  Apparently the crowning molding I picked was too thick for a regular miter saw so keep that in mind when picking your molding as it made the project A LOT more difficult then it needed to be.
Curtains and Butterfly Curtain Rod:  Target
Book Shelf, Picture Frame Ledges and Frames, Plant and Pot, Lantern, Lamb Skin, "End Table" (which are really trash cans that I wrapped some fabric around):  Ikea


Crib:  Graco Lauren Crib with Combo Changing Table with the hardware switched out for these lovely pink bubble glass pulls from Dwyer Home Collection (I ordered it on WayFair but you can find it almost anywhere online)
Sheets / Changing Pad Cover:  The fabric is from Walmart of all places and I made them myself using this tutorial


Mobile:  Etsy from DragonOnTheFly (the picture doesn't really do it justice - it is really amazing - check out DragonOnTheFly's shop)



Chandelier:  Z Gallerie (the only warning about this Chandelier is that it is made as a "plug in" light instead of a ceiling wired light.  My husband had to do some electrical work to get it wired and we had to buy the ceiling cover plate from home depot (which of course came with a gold hook and gold nuts so we had to paint those white too).
Blingy Wall Art Piece:  Z Gallerie


Crib Skirt:  I made the adjustable crib skirt myself - there are a ton of tutorials on Google
Tips:
- If you are like me and you HATE sewing gathers and ruffles here is a fun trick.  Instead of "gathering" the fabric you can pull out a long bobbin thread (as long as the piece of fabric you are trying to gather) and then you zig zag stitch over the bobbin thread.  This creates a "casing" for the bobbin thread and it way easier to gather / pull through then a loose running stitch.  Here is a tutorial someone else did online.
- Since the changer is on one side you really only need 2 panels (1 long side and 1 short side)
- The long panel I cut 56 inches wide and 17.5 inches long (this does not include the ruffle length that will be sewn on) - this is big enough to do 1 inch double folds on 3 of the 4 sides (all sides but the edge you sew the ruffle onto)
- The short panel I cut 20 inches wide and 17.5 inches long (this does not include the ruffle length that will be sewn on) - this is big enough to do 1 inch double folds on 3 of the 4 sides (all sides but the edge you sew the ruffle onto)
- The ruffle I cut a 6 inch wide piece and folded it in half (I made the ruffle piece twice as long as the panel widths so that when it was gathered it was very ruffled)
- The two gathered pieces are 2 inches wide (I cut them that wide because I serged the edges so the finished piece was 1 - 1.25 inches thick and again double the panel length)
- I used ribbons instead of fabric ties to attach it to the crib because making fabric ties seemed like a lot of effort for something you aren't ever going to see



No comments: