Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Batik Postage Stamp Quilt

Tomorrow is my mom's birthday and she wanted a batik wall quilt so I made her this little lovely. I used the quilter grid technique from Oh Fransson! where you fuse the pieces to fusible interfacing. I love that technique!!! The rectangles were 2 inches by 1.25 inches before sewing.

I also tried a new pebble free motion pattern on the border. It is very pretty but extremely time consuming and it almost looks like patterned fabric rather then quilting (only someone who looked very closely would appreciate the work).

I also tried a new binding technique where you machine stitch the binding to the front and then iron it flat on the back and stitch in the ditch around the front of the quilt. If I were going to do it again I may use 3 inch strips instead of 2.75 inch so that you always catch the edge. It is a good process for wall quilt where you aren't as picky about the look in the back but want a very neat look in the front.

Overall I am thrilled with the final product though!





No comments: