Thursday, December 23, 2010

A Quilt for a Friend

 
My husband and I have an amazing friend who is always very helpful and generous and for Christmas this year I wanted to get him something one of a kind. I made him a queen sized quilt (the first quilt that large that I have ever quilted myself!). I haven't finished the binding yet but I figure that is a minor detail that will get taken care of shortly, I am going to use a lighter gray patterned fabric.

I had a really hard time picking out fabrics that would be suitable for a guy with modern tastes. I went with gray and black batiks and I am really happy with how it turned out. I thought about doing blues but I was afraid that the final product would have looked too purple.



The center section is a rectangular panel that fades from darker colors to light colors and back to dark colors (1 inch strips). The border is a thick charcoal gray.



I ended up quilting the quilt in lines because I felt that it suited the style better then free motion quilting. The backing is a dark black gray color with charcoal squares that almost look like dots.

I am in love with this quilt. I am sad to see it go but it is going to a good home!
 

1 comment:

Chance said...

I love this quilt too! What an awesome gift!