Monday, May 30, 2011

Ice Cream Recipe

 
Our ice cream experiments were interesting. The main lesson that we learned is that if you want a nice texture your ice cream needs fat or some other hard to freeze ingredient (so the version we made with just soy milk turned into a giant hunk of soy ice instead of ice cream).

Our soy ice cream success had:
1 block of silken tofu
1 cup to 1 and 1/4 cups of soy milk
3/4 of a cup of Splenda
Hershey syrup / chocolate powder (if we made this again I would substitute cocoa powder)
We put in hunks of cookie dough for fun

We blended all the ingredients except the cookie dough in a blender and poured it into an ice cream maker. We added the cookie dough hunks at the very end. I thought the final product was slightly tofu tasting but it got better when frozen for awhile (I think dark cocoa powder or fruit flavoring would hide the tofu flavor better). I pondered decreasing the amount of tofu but I think the texture would suffer. More recipes to come as we improve.

We also made coconut pineapple sorbet - the coconut milk I used smelled funny but the sorbet was delicious.

We used:
1 can of coconut milk
1 and 1/4 cups of water
1 cup of sugar
1/4 cup of sweetened coconut (shredded)
Fresh pineapple

I simmered the coconut milk, water and sugar on medium heat for about 5 minutes then I chilled the mixture over night. I added a few tablespoons of pineapple juice and the shredded coconut right before pouring into the ice cream maker. The pineapple juice may have been a mistake because it made the pineapple flavor very strong. When the ice cream was almost done I added fresh shredded pineapple.

We also made some full fat normal ice cream with Oreos in it and some with cherries and chocolate chips. They were amazing too.

I highly recommend getting an ice cream maker. Tons of fun!
 

No comments: